This is a blog for the discussion of curious trivia (as the name was designed to suggest). I read all comments, so don't hesitate to post a comment even if the post is years old: these are long-term interests of mine! I don't post every day, I'm afraid, so I suggest that, if you are interested, you go to http://www.changedetection.com/ and put the name of this blog in it, so that you will be e-mailed when there is a new post or comment.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

An enclave in England

My friend David Ward also informed me about an interesting enclave in Britain: Shipston-on-Stour is a town in the Stratford-on-Avon district of southern Warwickshire, England. It is close to the borders with Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

Historically, Shipston was part of an enclave of Worcestershire, where it formed part of the Oswaldslow Hundred. In 1931 it was merged for official purposes into Warwickshire, and until 1974 was the centre of the Shipston-on-Stour Rural District.

It lies within the Diocese of Worcester.

For further discussion of enclaves look at `Tangled territories' and Rolf Palmberg's site and Jan Krogh's site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home