This is a blog for the discussion of curious trivia (as the name was designed to suggest). I read all comments, so don't hesitate to post a comment even if the post is years old: these are long-term interests of mine! I don't post every day, I'm afraid, so I suggest that, if you are interested, you go to http://www.changedetection.com/ and put the name of this blog in it, so that you will be e-mailed when there is a new post or comment.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

world's oldest surviving band

I discovered recently that in April of 1996, the Guiness Book of World Records awarded Les Brown with the distinction of being the leader of the longest lasting musical organization in the history of popular music, "Les Brown and the Band of Renown". But Les died in 2001, so who or what is the current holder of the title?

I'd have thought that a church choir or maybe an orchestra or a military band would have got a better claim, even when Les Brown was alive, but maybe the Guiness Book of World Records was actually looking for a band with at least some of the same personnel as when it started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home